ELLE, The EndLess LEarner: An interdisciplinary digital humanities collaboration
This endless-runner-style language learning game sprung up from a Games Research Group meeting where we watched a demo of the endless-runner in Unreal. After our research team received the honor of first runner-up for an internal grant (and $0 in funding), we pitched the idea to a Computer Science Capstone course and got a top-notch group of students to make it a reality.
In fact, the project won Best Computer Science Project at the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s Fall 2017 Senior Design Showcase!
Capstone project “sponsor” team:
- Dr. Amy Giroux, Computer Research Specialist, Center of Humanities and Digital Research
- Dr. Emily Johnson, Visiting Assistant Professor, Games and Interactive Media
- Dr. Don Merritt, Director, Office of Instructional Resources
- Dr. Sandra Sousa, Assistant Professor of Portuguese
- Dr. Gergana Vitanova, Associate Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures
Computer Science capstone teams
- Georg Anemogiannis (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Eric Butt (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Tyler Chauhan (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Megan Chipman (BS Computer Science, 2017)
- Christopher Ward (BA, Digital Media-Game Design Track, 2017)
- Lily (Lark) Nghi (BA, Digital Media, 2018)
- James Distel (BA, Digital Media, in progress)
- Mark Behler
- Phillio Da Silva
- Ian Holdeman
- Santiago Perez Arrubla
- Christian Acosta – Database Developer
- Kyle Hendricks – Android Developer
- James Jachcinski – iOS Developer
- Mustapha Moore – Website Developer
- Dominic Rama – Android Developer
UCF QEP (Quality Enhancement Plan) grant to improve game aesthetics, include professionalization module, and implement game into Spring 2019 Portuguese language courses.
Johnson, E., Giroux, A. L., and Merritt, D. ELLE the EndLess LEarner:
A Second Language Acquisition Virtual Reality Game. Demonstration. (2018). Proceedings from Immersive Learning Research Network Conference, Missoula, Montana, June 24-29, 2018. Graz University of Technology (Austria).
Merritt, D. F., Johnson, E. K., Giroux, A. L. (2017). ELLE the EndLess LEarner: Exploring Second Language Acquisition Through an Endless Runner-style Video Game. Paper presented by A. Giroux at Digital Humanities 2017 in Montreal, Canada, August 9, 2017.
Giroux, A.L., Johnson, E.K., Merritt, D., Vitanova, G., Sousa, S. ELLE, The EndLess LEarner Videogame: An interdisciplinary digital humanities collaboration. Presented by all authors at Humanities Arts Science Technology Alliance Consortium (HASTAC), Orlando, Florida, November 2-4, 2017.
Anemogiannis, G., Butt, E., Chauhan, T., & Chipman, M. ELLE, The EndLess LEarner Videogame: Language Acquisition Through Interactive Technology. Demonstration at Humanities Arts Science Technology Alliance Consortium (HASTAC), Orlando, Florida, November 2-4, 2017.
Anemogiannis, G., Butt, E., Chauhan, T., & Chipman, M. ELLE (EndLess LEarner): Learn a Second Language with Virtual Reality Video Game. Presented at UCF College of Engineering and Computer Science Fall 2017 Senior Design Showcase November 30, 2017. *Awarded Best Computer Science Project
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us!